Main menu: Home | Education | Visit Us | Exhibits | News & Events | Tickets | Members | Volunteer | Contact Us

Mogadore

Mogadore Historical Society, Inc.
87 S. Cleveland Ave.
Mogadore, OH 44260-1514
Contact Numbers: 330-628-4959 or 330-351-3840
Email: mogadorehistoricalsociety@gmail.com
Mogadore Historical Society Facebook Page

Sights to See in Mogadore

The Mogadore Historical Society currently maintains the Mills-Kreiner House, circa 1830, and the Norfolk and Western Railroad depot, circa 1905. The Historical Society is open the first and third Sunday of every month from 2 to 4 pm., with displays of pottery and memorabilia of Mogadore and as a period house of the early 1930's. The Depot is open on special occasions and upon request.

Mills-Kreiner House
87 South Cleveland Avenue

The Benjamin Mills family came to this area in 1836 and built a log house on the corner of Waterloo Mills-Kreiner HouseRoad and South Cleveland Avenue. In 1852 William Mills, son of Benjamin, moved the house from Portage County some distance north across the road to Summit County because he was tired of paying taxes in Portage County. Because all four corners held log houses and a log schoolhouse was nearby the area came to be called “Logtown.” Dr. Dennis C. McCloskey purchased the property in 1989 and gave the house to the Mogadore Historical Society.

Vera Mills Eckert, granddaughter of the builder of the house, Benjamin Mills, immediately offered a substantial amount to see the house preserved. Long time owners and then residents of the house, Dwight and Ruth Kreiner, felt the same and also donated a goodly amount along with their sons, Kenneth and Kyle. To honor these generous people, the Mills-Kreiner house was moved to 87 S. Cleveland Avenue on May 31, 1989.

Norfolk and Western Railroad Depot
87 South Cleveland Avenue

In 1983 Mayor George Wear learned that the parent company of the railroad planned to demolish the Norfold and Western Railroad Depot1900's Depot. The present Historical Society was formed to seek funds and save the building by moving it. The struggle for funds and a site on which to set it began. Mayor Larry Yoho worked with GenCorp to secure a site. Funding grew in time and with a grant from the state, secured by Representative Cliff Skeen, the Depot was moved to its present site on November 17, 1989. The Depot languished on the site until 1994 when substantial work was done to bring it to its present condition. The hope of a museum was sidetracked by the fact that the cargo room was never built to be heated. When or until the problem is solved, it is seldom used, but it serves as an example of Stick Style architecture, and is a treasure of a bygone age.