Main menu: Home | Education | Visit Us | Exhibits | News & Events | Members | Volunteer | Contact Us | Donate

Richfield

Richfield Historical Society
PO Box 215
Richfield, OH 44286-0215
Phone: 330.659.0336

Website: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~richfieldhs/index.htm

Sights to See in Richfield

Richfield Historical Society Museum
3907 Broadview Road
The Society maintains the Old Town Hall as its museum. Society collections include photographs, maps, costumers, and local genealogy information.

James B Kirby Estate
On the grounds of the inventor of the Kirby sweeper, is the Girl Scout’s Camp Julie Crowell. Girl Scout Camp Hilaka is adjacent on the grounds of the former Neal Fruit Farm; the Natural Bridge on Rt. 303 (by appointment only).

An Old District One-Room School
Corner of Black and Boston Mills Roads
The school still stands as it did when opened in 1880; no exterior changes have been made in 110 years. It is the last remaining of the 12 district schools abandoned in 1916 when a centralized school was built. A portion of the Masonic Temple on Grant Street in old West Richfield was the school building for those residing in what was known as “West Center.”

Richfield’s two major cemeteries are West Richfield on Broadview Road, founded in 1824, and Fairview on Brecksville Road, founded in 1845. In Fairview Cemetery is the location of four of the graves of John Brown’s children who died during a two-week period.

25-ton Engraved Stone
Furnace Run Metropark
The stone reads: “Brushwood – given in memory of Charles Francis Brush, Jr. To all those who love as he loved the far sky and smiling land.” The original grant of 2100 acres was given by Charles F. Brush, Sr. who purchased the land from pioneer owner, Everett Farnham. Charles Brush, Sr. was the inventor of the arc light and his son organized the Brush Laboratories. He died in 1927. The total gift amounted to 4500 acres.

Community Center
Center of Richfield
Located here are the Township and Village offices, police and fire departments, tennis courts, ballfields, an arts and crafts center and the Richfield Branch Library.

Sikh Gurdwara
4220 Broadview Road

Ohio Historical Marker here states:

This marks the site of the first Sikh Gurdwara in the state Sikh Gurdwaraof Ohio. Sikhs began to arrive in Ohio after India's freedom from British rule in 1947. They came for advanced education at universities in the state. With liberalization of immigration laws in the 1960s, many Sikhs settled in metropolitan areas and set up organizations to hold congregational prayer. The Guru Nanak Foundation of Greater Cleveland Area was named after Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikh Faith. The Foundation, which at first used rental facilities for religious activities, was incorporated in 1976. However, by 1980 it was able to purchase a building at 3305 West 25th Street in Cleveland. Membership swelled during the 1980s, and in 1991 the congregation decided to move the Gurdwara to its present location in Richfield.