Main menu: Home | Education | Visit Us | Exhibits | News & Events | Tickets | Members | Volunteer | Contact Us

Twinsburg

Twinsburg Historical Society
PO Box 7
Twinsburg, OH 44087-0007

Phone: 330.487.5565

Sights to See in Twinsburg

Twinsburg Historical Society Museum
8996 Darrow Road
The structure, built in 1865 by the Reverend Samuel Bissell, largely with his own hands, was originally two stories. The second story was removed when the building started to settle and became unsafe due to the weight of the stones. The Twinsburg Institute, established and run by Rev. Bissell until his death in 1896, was housed in this building. In the course of his teaching more than 6000 students received an education, whether or not they were able to pay. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Freeman Carriage Barn
8996 Darrow Road
This carriage barn was built around 1870 by Dr. Seth Freeman. The Freeman horses were the fastest in town. On busy nights the doctor could be found sleeping in his carriage in the barn, dressed and ready for his next house call. The foundation is constructed of sandstone quarried in Twinsburg. The 40 by 60 foot barn has three stories, hand hewn pegs and rafters, an elaborate cherry staircase and individual stalls for six horses.

Civil War Monument
Town Square
Being the geographic center of Twinsburg, the park has been the focus of village life down through the years. The base of the monument is sold sandstone quarried in Twinsburg. The marble upper portion is inscribed with the names of the 120 volunteers from Twinsburg who served in the Civil War. The top is surmounted by a large spread eagle.

First Congregational Church
9050 Church Street
The church building was dedicated in November 1848. It is the classic New England style architecture with its tall white spire and simple lines. Its design is attributed to master builder Simeon Porter. The edifice is notable for being a Classic Revival translation of the standard meeting house. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Ohio Historical Marker here states:
First Congregational ChurchSide A "First Congregational Church"
Organized August 23, 1822. Twinsburg pioneers, many from Killingworth, Connecticut, worshiped in various locations for 31 years until this church was built in 1848. Its design is attributed to master builder Simeon Porter. The spire is an 1857 replacement. The edifice is notable for being a Classic Revival translation of the standard meeting house of the preceding Federal period.

Side B : "United Church of Christ"
Same


Locust Grove Cemetery
Southwest on Route 82
Many of the original settles of Twinsburg are buried here, including the Wilcox twins, Ethan Alling, and the Rev. Samuel Bissell. The cemetery is planted with locust trees and surrounded by a fence of stone quarried in Twinsburg.

Ohio Historical Marker here states:

Cemetery vaults were used to store bodies in winter when the Locust Grove Cemetery Vaultground was too frozen to break manually. Locust Grove's vault was constructed of locally quarried sandstone in 1872. The interior showcases the mason's skills: the walls are smooth and the ceiling is arched. Tools, markers, and cemetery supplies replaced bodies after it became possible to break frozen ground with mechanical excavating equipment. In 1997, the 138-ton vault was moved approximately twenty-five feet northwest from its original location to make way for land development. Ethan Alling established Locust Grove Cemetery in 1846.